Thursday, October 9, 2014

Episcopal Testimonies

A call to the ministry, from Episcopal Diocese of Chicago:

"It wasn’t the first time (or the last) that I’d heard the question: 'Ron, did you have an Epiphany?' It was from an old friend, shortly before entering Deacons’ School. I knew what he was alluding to – that sudden, dramatic event like what Paul encountered. I answered as truthfully as I could – 'My life has been a series of Epiphanies.'
...Such was the nature and timing of my call. As I turned my heart to God, to serving Him, there was nothing short of a transformation – a reorienting of some of my deep set values. The call came from a variety of places, starting deep within. Prayer, listening and meditating, study of Scripture, patience, discipline, a feeling of brokenness and humility, all helped prepare me to hear God’s call for my life. Many Scripture verses come to mind, including Deut. 4:29 '...You will find Him if you search after Him with all your heart and soul'.
From the works and writings of Ignatius of Loyola, Teresa of Avila, and C.S.Lewis come a compilation of signs of God’s call which I experienced – peace, joy, tears, a sudden sense of clarity, experiences that seemed to converge and fit together."

-Ron Valentine's call to the ministry, Episcopal Diocese of Chicago


From the book, "Testimonies", by Freddie Powers:

"My parents came back from some type of retreat and they were 'glowing' when they walked in... It had been a weekend retreat that was part of a renewal movement in the Episcopal Church.  I would go to a service with them occassionally when they would have a retreat.  I liked the atmosphere of the meetings, but they were only held once every few months.  Still, there was something about these meetings that seemed 'real,' and I liked it.
When I was 15, I went to one of these retreats for teenagers.  This was an AMAZING experience in my life!  I went, not really knowing much about what the weekend would entail.  It was incredible!  I remember feeling loved unconditionally, tears streaming down my face as a result of the joy I felt inside.  I never wanted this feeling to end.  I knew it was the Holy Spirit touching me and cleansing me.  No one told me what was happening, but I felt better than I ever felt."

-from "Testimonies", by Freddie Powers, p. 30

No comments:

Post a Comment