Thursday, October 9, 2014

Non-Mainstream Mormon Spiritual Experiences

These testimonies come from around the web, and represent various non-mainstream Mormon groups.

This is a testimony from a Fundamentalist Mormon.

"The Scriptures are wonderful things. Even when you don't really feel like reading or studying them, a great thing happens when you do. Your spirit calms, your heart expands, and you can really begin to understand the things that God is teaching you through them. When you're done, it's like you've quenched a thirst you never knew you had. It tastes like something you've been needing.
And for me, all truth has done this. When I prayed about and discovered where the Priesthood was, I felt this. When I've searched for the answer to my prayers, and tried the path that I knew was right, it tasted like something I had been needing.
And I find in this the solution to my worry over what is right and wrong to do in my current situation. I am sure, that when it comes time for me to get married I will feel this, too, and I already do to a point.
And speaking of points this is it for today. The truth, the Truth, tastes like something you've been needing, and you can trust that."

-from "The Truth of the Matter", by blogger JLL


This person converted to the True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This testimony is transcribed from the radio show, "This American Life", starting at about 5:00.

"You know, I've been searching for, for a witness of this work and of this church, and just tonight I got my witness.  And, it's burning within my soul of how important this work is and how true it is.  I know it is.  And it's hard to believe that just a year ago I was in high school, I was in plays, I was a typical teenager, and now I'm in a plural marriage, and struggling.  I'm not going to lie to you.  But, I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is the Lord's work.  That I've finally found it.  And I love you guys and I'm thankful for your prayers and for all that you have to offer me.  I say this in the name of Jesus Christ Amen."

-testimony from TLC member


This person converted to the Community of Christ (formerly the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints).  This comment is from the Mormon Matters blog.  She gives further details about her spiritual experience on her own blog.

"I had personal revelation that Joseph smith had one wife, and that polygamy was not a requirement of God, that d&c 132 was a fabrication. I was dumbfounded... but I had reason to pray about Joseph after reading his many anti-polygamy speeches. Having a testimony of Joseph and the bom [Book of Mormon], I believed Joseph was no liar and therefore I needed to pray. When I received the answer I was astounded, but was also impressed that all evidence would reveal itself and Joseph and Emma would be found innocent, and I was also impressed that any anyone saying Joseph was a polygamist no matter how sincere they came across, were liars and be revealed as such.  ...He is very precious to me, and I want his named cleared and revered, its been trashed for too long and innocent saints suffer too because they leave church believing the lies, when reality is Joseph was not involved with polygamy, racism or slavery, he was a good man, and his family have been trashed by lies ...it all needs putting right."

-from a comment on the blog, "Mormon Matters"


These comments are from a man who follows the teachings of Denver Snuffer.

“Today I was baptized again.
…I studied the writings of a man who claimed to have seen the Savior. I confirmed his claim in solemn prayer.
This man claimed to have been given a message from the Lord to be delivered in a series of ten lectures. I read, listened to, attended some and studied all of the lectures. I was and am convinced the message he delivered is authorized of the Lord. I confirmed this using the principles I learned growing up in Primary, Sunday school and seminary – I studied them out, then asked the Lord.
I have been told by some, including Carol, that the message of this man is offensive. I did not find it so. It felt right as I studied it. It felt good. I guess you can say it 'tasted' good. It fed my soul. The message led me to the scriptures. It caused me to ponder them again and again. I acted upon the message. I exercised faith in prayer culminating in the action I have taken this day.”

-from "A Day of rejoicing - A New Beginning", by Tim Malone


“The more I share, as directed by the Lord, the more I feel His pleasure at what I am doing. The more I bear witness of the revelatory process, the more I sense the joy He has promised. As I am blessed, I desire to share that with others. As I do so, He pours out more blessings and fills my heart with joy. I know He is pleased. Revelation is real. The Lord is willing to speak with us.”

-from "Parting the Veil", by Tim Malone


A testimony regarding The Sealed Portion of the Book of Mormon.

"I've had three encounters with the spirit of truth.
The first one I had was like 2yrs ago when I prayed and asked God to show me why the conditions of us blacks were so bad and what I found out was a miracle, Now you don't have to believe me just read Deut 28:68 after I read this the spirit burned like fire within me.
Now the second encounter was more stronger than the first after I read the Bible I was working at a hotel in Mankato MN and I ran across a copy of The Book of Mormon and what I found out is the reason why I call myself the unlearned man.
...This third encounter is unbelievable.  I was searching the net for more things about the Mormon church and as I was typing in something to search for the spirit told me to type in (sealed books of Moroni) and when I did it happened again.
As I read these word it felt like fire this portion is holy and it deals with our current situation in the Mormon church I copied all the pages for myself only me and one other has read them and I know their true because it told me how strong my faith was and it also deals with the elect of god hidden among you gentiles."

-from Hope of Zion forum user unlearned man, post 18
[I edited the text slightly for readability]

No comments:

Post a Comment